This September we are celebrating “Read a New Book Month”! You can also totally celebrate in December, since that is also designated as a new book month. For us, September is the doorstep of our favorite season of the year, and it has us looking to settle down, find some new books, and enjoy a slower pace of life.
Choose Your Weapon
When looking for a new book, there are many avenues available! A big chain like Barnes & Noble has plenty to choose from, or you might want to go to a local bookshop and find some hidden gems. Going online to stores like Amazon enables you to support indie authors who might not be able to get their books into larger stores. Or if you find yourself pressed for time to sit down and read, audiobooks are another option! Don’t overlook your local library if you don’t want to spend money.
We are lovers of high fantasy, and that tends to be 80% of what we read. But we also enjoy some spooky stories, some urban fantasy, and some nonfiction books. Stick with what you like, or it might be fun to branch out and try something new! If you are uncertain about spending money on a book you are not sure you’ll like, you can find ebooks for relatively cheap, especially from indie authors. Some sites like Amazon also let authors do a temporary free promotion of their book, so you can try one without any cost! Keep in mind the authors do not make any money from this, so you can tell they truly want to share their work if they do free promotions.
We’ve definitely written plenty of posts talking about some of our favorite books. If you are looking for some inspiration, feel free to check these out!
- The Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud – urban fantasy
- Pendragon by D.J. MacHale – sci-fi
- The Book of Mordred by Vivian Vande Velde – Arthurian fiction
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss – high fantasy
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie – thriller / mystery
- Dragon Age: The Calling by David Gaider – high fantasy
- Dragons of Spring Dawning – Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman – high fantasy
- Thread of Souls (shameless self promotion) – high fantasy
Are there any books you recommend for this list?
1 thought on “Celebrate Read a New Book Month”